Peter Loso was main settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement in August, 1854. He claimed section 9-10 on which the Town of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon used and the Township was arranged in 1858 covering 81 square mls. Actually called Clinton, St. Joseph received its current name in 1870. Many settlers came for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was incorporated in 1890. As the township grew, so do the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their agenda in the 1890's, they made a decision to construct a prison, install a public well, build and repair real wood sidewalks, and arranged liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a challenge and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was prepared, which is currently the St. Joseph Open fire Dept.
By the early 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the young families after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering enough time to milk cows so more time could be allocated to crops and canine care. Soon after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to struggle.
After the conflict ended people were in a position to get their lives back on the right track, at least for a while, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so many of the farmers considered making moonshine, which somewhat reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. Along with the depression effecting every person in town, the city needed to adhere together more than ever. Through a federal government offer, the Council was able to hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On Dec 7, 1941 japan bombed Pearl Harbor click here which officially moved into the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph had a people of around 1050, dropping 10 heroic troops to the warfare. The community remained strong and check here continuing to increase the Village, adding a water tower in 1949, along with a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph commenced fluoridating its water supply, and goes on to take action.